Friday, January 07, 2005

I made Johnny Carson wait!

From 1986 until 1992 I spent every summer working at Kennedy Airport in New York City as a United States Customs officer. One of the best things about the job was getting to meet a lot of famous people.
The Concorde usually came in around 9:00 a.m. every morning and we always wondered who might be on it. This particular morning, we heard that it was full of people coming back from the Wimbledon Tennis Tournament. As the doors opened and the passengers began to enter the hall, many of the tennis players stood by to sign autographs or answer questions. Naturally, I was stationed way down at the other end of the hall and I was straining to see who might be there. It looked like Ivan Lendl! Behind me, two ordinary looking guys were waiting to be processed. I was busy watching the tennis players. After a few minutes, one of the guys banged on the counter and asked if I would take care of them. He seemed a little annoyed. I turned my head and answered him over my shoulder: "wait just a minute, please, I'm looking for Ivan Lendl. Again, an annoyed plea: "can you take care of us please? Finally, I decided that I shouldn't make them wait any longer and I turned around and angrily began to rebuke them for rushing me.
I didn't need their passports to know who they were:
Johnny Carson and Chuck Scarborough*. Oops!
(Chuck is the New York anchor for the evening news on WNBC)