Friday, October 15, 2004

Jon Stewart Quotes from "Crossfire"

In many ways, it's funny. And I made a special effort to come on the show today, because I have privately, amongst my friends and also in occasional newspapers and television shows, mentioned this show as being bad.

And I wanted to -- I felt that that wasn't fair and I should come here and tell you that I don't -- it's not so much that it's bad, as it's hurting America.

So I wanted to come here today and say...
Here's just what I wanted to tell you guys.
Stop.
Stop, stop, stop, stop hurting America.

See, the thing is, we need your help. Right now, you're helping the politicians and the corporations. And we're left out there to mow our lawns.
You're part of their strategies. You are partisan, what do you call it, hacks.
but what I'm saying is this. I'm not. I'm here to confront you, because we need help from the media and they're hurting us.
It's not honest. What you do is not honest. What you do is partisan hackery. And I will tell you why I know it.
You know, the interesting thing I have is, you have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably.

CARLSON: Wait. I thought you were going to be funny. Come on. Be funny.
STEWART: No. No. I'm not going to be your monkey.

Read the ENTIRE TRANSCRIPT HERE.